Making sense of Social Media in Education
Tools like Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, YouTube etc. offer many potential advantages and attractions to educators and students alike, but also bring some issues including; safeguarding, professionalism, marketing, distractions, social divide etc.
In this session people will explore the issues, with practical examples of how the use of these tools can be managed by an organisation, and why this is more important than just blocking these services.
The session will be of particular interest to teachers and managers interested in this area of work but are nervous or apprehensive of the issues.
The session has been very popular with people working within marketing.
Ideas that will be covered in the session will include:
- What are the benefits of social media in education?
- What are the risks associated with social media?
- Sensibly balancing the benefits and the risks
- Creating 'how to' guides for staff and students regarding the use of social media
- Sectors: Secondary, FE, HE, Commercial.
- Session Duration: Half day or Full day.
- Target audience: Teaching, Senior managers, Marketing, Learning Technologists.